Sunday, November 15, 2009

Wicca, Witches and Witchcraft


Wicca, otherwise known as witchcraft, has been doubling in numbers every eighteen months in the United States. With that information I think that it is fair to say we take a minute and learn what Wiccans really believe. As the naive teenagers we are, when we hear the word witchcraft we initially think cauldrons, evil spells, and little broom stick flying, wart covered, pointy hat wearing, green women. But here in the U.S. of A everyone has freedom to religion, whatever it may be, we shouldn't stereotype anybody. So please take a minute to understand really what Wicca is, it can only help you.

Unlike a Catholic church, which is very organized and has certain specific things they believe in, the beliefs of Wiccans can very tremendously. Wiccans are undecided on the amount of deities they have, polytheistic Wiccans believe in ancient Gods and Goddesses such as Dionysius, and Thor. There Monotheistic Wiccans, duotheistic (belief in two Gods), and henotheistic (belief in a supreme God over many)

If I were to make a comparison about Wiccans I would say that they are very much like liberal people. They support preserving the environment, morals are determined by the individual, girls and just as valuable as boys, they value the passing of the seasons, and positive attitude toward human sexuality, which is a gift from the Goddess.

I hope I could open your eyes some to what really is and hopefully they can be just as appreciated as any major religion

3 comments:

  1. What a unique religion. I think i watched a show and the people shown on it believed in this type of religon. I love learning about all of these strange and unusual religions. This is such a great topic, im sure you really enjoy researching them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you worded your description of what Wicca really is. I'm glad someone (who may or may not be a Wiccan) finally sees the true beauty of The Craft. I myself am an 18-year-old Wiccan; and i'm still trying to get my Mum and Da to understand my religion choice. They're into Christianity, and the whole "It's our God or it's Hell!" thing. My Mum literally threw a Bible at me when she found out I was studding Wicca. She said: "That's not Gods way.", and "What are you now...? A Satin worshiper!!?" I tried to explain it to her, but she just wouldn't hear it. My Mum thinks The Craft is pure evil. If only I could get her to see it my way... If only I could have her see it the way you wrote.

    Sincerely,
    C.S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Christina,

    People who are not ready to see the world how it is meant to be seen, shouldn't!

    For those of us who are lucky enough to be given the gift that we have, we cherrish each and every little facet of life as we come accross it. This is simply because we have been given the role of keeping this world together.

    Everyday, humble people go to work and make the world go round, we go to work and try to make that passage smooth.

    Think what would happen if closed minded people were to have the insight that we do and act upon their own fears - the world would stop!!!

    It takes compassion, understanding and committment to be Wiccan - we are chosen, no overlooked!

    Tristan.

    ReplyDelete