Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Christianity

We all are familiar with Christianity here in America. What you may not know is the plethora of Christian denominations, everything from Catholicism to Jehovah's Witnesses.
In Christianity there are two main sects, The Catholics, and the Protestants. Protestants include everything from Baptists to Mormons. The main difference between these two groups is that Catholics are very rooted in tradition and that they were the first Christian Church. Protestants arose in the sixteenth century when they broke off the Catholic Church.
One of the main beliefs of most protestants is that as soon as you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal savior, your eternity in heaven is guaranteed. Unlike the Catholics who believe you have to go through seven sacraments. including, confirmation, marriage and baptism.
A very important difference between the Catholics and protestants is that protestants believe the bible and only the bible to be the ultimate authority. The Catholics on the other hand believe tradition passed down orally is just as important that the bible.
These many disagreements have contributed to alot of conflict between the protestant and catholic Church.

4 comments:

  1. There are many problems and a lot of differences between the protestant and Catholic Church. The protestant church also beliefs in the main three sacraments. I really like your blog, but you can go into your posts a bit more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really helped me. I don't really know what I am and I believe in Jesus but I don't believe in God. Yet I believe that the human beings where an evolution. I don't want to call myself atheus but I dont really know what I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very helpful. I barely knew about christianity but I never knew the difference with catholics. I do agree though the disagreements between catholics and protestants have led to many problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this post was just great. I never really knew about the protestant side, nor what they belived in. I'm a catholic, but I have to say, I could agree with some of the things the protestants have to say.. Keep writing bro! =D

    ReplyDelete